Situated at the National Mining Museum in Kwekwe, the Paper House is a quaint historical relic dating back to 1894. It was built in Britain, transported to Kwekwe from Port Elizabeth via ox wagon and placed on wooden stilts to protect it from damp and white ants. The two-bedroomed structure was made from paper mâché and wire mesh, reinforced with cardboard and painted green and white. The corrugated iron roof is original, and has survived over 100 years of thunderstorms and extreme temperature variations. It was the home of a Mr H A Piper, the first mine manager of the Globe and Phoenix Gold Mine and is the only surviving building of this type in Zimbabwe today. It is claimed that Cecil John Rhodes once stayed there. In 1975 the Paper House was declared to be a historic building and a national monument. The furnishings on display are original.
Directions: from Harare, turn right into 1st Avenue after the Mosque. Continue 500 metres to the t-junction, and turn right on the gravel road. Continue a few hundred metres to the National Mining Museum sign on the left.