What you’ll need:
1 cup cooked long grain rice
1 tbsp Spice for Rice
¼ cup julienne peeled carrots
½ a peeled and thinly sliced beetroot
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
Salt & pepper
¼ cup fresh sweet corn cut off the cob
2 slices of gaka (African cucumber
½ cup thinly slice murivo (rape or kale)
¼ finely chopped onion
1 tbspn oil
1 cup diced bream (tilapia)
¼ cup nyemo beans cooked & seasoned (or any bean you prefer)
1 tbspn thinly sliced ginger
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
A small handful of bean sprouts
1 spring onion finely sliced
1 fresh chilli if you like some heat
For the dressing:
¼ cup soy sauce
50 ml sesame oil
1 heaped tbsp honey
1 tspn finely chopped ginger
Prepping for your bowl:
- Mix all your dressing ingredients together.
- Pour half the dressing over your fish.
- Heat a pan to a medium heat and fry your fish cubes skin down until they turn white, turn the pan off but leave the fish in the pan.
- In a bowl put your beetroot with a bit of salt and pepper and the rice wine vinegar and allow it to lightly pickle.
- In another heated pan put your sweet corn and leave it until slightly charred, once again turn off your pan but leave the corn in it.
- In a pot heat your oil and fry the onions with the thinly sliced murivo, season to taste.
Building your bowl
- Get yourself a nice bowl in which to serve your poke bowl.
- Fill the bowl with your rice, sprinkle with the Spice for Rice and mix it up until all the rice has some seasoning. Smooth out the rice to one level.
- Place all your ingredients around the bowl neatly
Drizzle your dressing around your bowl and then dress your fish with your thinly sliced spring onion & sprinkle your bean sprouts over your vegetables in the bowl.