Strategically placed close to the borders of Botswana and South Africa, Bulawayo was the first capital of the fledgling colony of Rhodesia. Empire builder and mining magnate, Cecil John Rhodes was adamant that the new colonial Bulawayo be built on the ashes of Lobengula’s Bulawayo (the Ndebele king had given orders for all the huts to be set on fire when he realised that defeat was inevitable in the Battle of Bembesi) in order to demonstrate complete dominance over the Ndebele. From then on the town went from strength to strength, with Leander Starr Jameson declaring Bulawayo officially open in 1894.
Published 1 month ago
Last updated 3 weeks ago